Green Deal

The Green Deal helps you make energy-saving improvements to your home and find the best way to pay for them. You can pay for all of the measures in advance or pay for part of the measures through a Green Deal Finance Plan, which is calculated using the ‘Golden Rule’. The Golden Rule states that the annual repayments on the loan should not exceed the savings you might make on your energy bills.

The improvements that could save you the most energy depend on your home, but typical examples include: insulation, eg solid wall, cavity wall or loft insulation, heating, draught-proofing, double glazing, renewable energy generation, eg solar panels or heat pumps.

The full list of measures available using the Green Deal can be found here but it is quite a complex document so in the first instance we would recommend you contact the Energy Savings Trust, who can give you advice and guidance on the scheme.

What is the process for applying for the Green Deal?

In order to apply for the Green Deal, you will need to have a Green Deal Assessment carried out to obtain a Green Deal Report. The Green Deal Report consists of an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and an Occupancy Assessment. Whilst the EPC looks at how energy efficient a building is, the Occupancy Assessment looks at how much energy the building occupiers are using.

The report will list the improvements your advisor recommends, an estimate of the money you could save on your annual energy bills and a statement on whether the improvements will pay for themselves through reduced energy costs. Only measures recommended in your Green Deal Report are eligible for the Green Deal.

Once you have your Green Deal Report, a Green Deal Provider can find an approved Green Deal installer for you and put together a finance plan. York EPC cannot give financial advice or recommend a particular installer or measure as we are independent and impartial.

The Green Deal Orb is a useful website where you can search for Green Deal Providers and Installers in your area.

Is my property eligible for the Green Deal?

Any household with an electricity meter (including prepayment meters) in England, Scotland or Wales can use the scheme. Both the landlord and the tenant must agree to the improvements if the building is rented.